Wednesday 10 September 2014

The Hungry Monster and More!

Although I sent home a paper newsletter this week, I do want to get in the habit of posting regularly, so here I am! I hope that it also helps you to get in the habit of reading the blog regularly! This week we starting thinking about fluency when reading- that is using an appropriate rate/speed, expression, punctuation cues and accuracy. The students have been having fun rating my fluency while I read books to them. Soon they will be using self-reflection checklists during their own reading time in class. We have also talked a lot about ending punctuation or sentence stoppers and determining what makes a sentence. To this end, we have fixed a story missing it's punctuation and capital letters using bandaids, fed my Hungry Monster sentences (you'll have to ask your child about this one!), and soon they will be making punctuation people and putting all of their practice to work when writing their sentences.More on that as it happens!

I will also be starting my individual reading assessments shortly. These will help me to pinpoint areas of need, and to track progress over the year.

Meet the Teacher night has been set for Wednesday, September 17th. I will be dividing my time between room 20 (my SK classroom) and my two grade 2 classrooms in the third floor tower. I hope to meet many of you then!

1 comment:

  1. Your puntuation work is making its way home - Scotia's now including GIANT periods in the "books" she writes and exclamation marks. You have such fun, creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete