Thursday 22 January 2015

Procedural Writing and Reading A-Z

Procedural Writing
The newest activity that we are working on in English is procedural writing. Earlier in the week we read a book about the steps involved when making a snowman and highlighted the transitional words such as "first", "then" "next" "finally" that were used. We then did a full group shared writing about how we would make snowmen using playdoh, raisins and mini carrot as the materials. We then created snowmen using these materials in small groups following the steps that we had written.This helped the kids see how important it is to add detail and to be clear when writing procedures while getting supported practice. 

Next we played a game using coloured foam blocks to orally give directions on how to recreate pictures of structures made with four or five of these blocks. Currently, students are now designing their own structures using the same blocks and writing their instructions on how to recreate it. The main things that I want students to get out of this writing activity is the use of transitional words and using adequate detail and clarity to write instructions that others can follow. 

Reading A-Z
I will soon be starting to bring my own personal copies of Reading A-Z books to class for students to borrow rather than waiting for individual accounts. I have recently acquired a filing box system that will make it easier for me to bring my books from my office to my classrooms that I visit. I plan on doing book exchanges once a week and letting students choose their own books. Students are not required to borrow books, but I did want to make the option available. I plan for Mondays to be the book exchange day. If your child will not be exchanging books and would like to use this time for independent reading, they are welcome to bring a book to class to read. Otherwise, I will have a short activity for them to do at this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment